Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Lemon Meringue Pie


I had too many eggs and didn't feel like quiche, what to do? Lemon Meringue Pie uses lots of eggs, but I've never made one and it looks difficult. I went looking for a good recipe. The Food Network is the first place I look, they usually have a good recipe for whatever.

I chose Anna Olson's Lemon Meringue Pie recipe. I followed all the directions including making dough in the food processor. I've tried Food Processor dough before and it didn't work for me but I followed her directions and it at least came together into some kind of dough.  

I followed all the rest of the directions but I think my meringue should have been beaten a bit longer. It was good enough for a first try. I burnt the rim of crust because I didn't turn the foil over the edge while the centre cooked under foil and beans. The crust was tough, not flaky. It was a solid layer. I probably over processed the butter before adding the liquid. I'll try one more time, later.

This pie is not as good as Fern's mother's, close but not quite there. Fix the crust and Fern said the texture of the lemon filling was too eggy. I have no idea what that is supposed to mean but I'll pay attention to the texture next time. Other than those minor flaws the pie was terrific. Just enough lemony goodness and not too sweet. The most important lesson: Lemon pie is unbelievably easy to make. 


No comments:

Post a Comment