Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Another Attempt at Bread


I wanted to try bread again so I set out these ingredients:

1 cup + 1 tbsp All Purpose Flour
1 tbsp vital wheat gluten
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp yeast
1/2 cup cold water

I added a bit too much water and the dough was a bit too sticky. I kneaded it for 5 minutes and the texture felt soft so I was hopeful I wouldn't end up with another hockey puck. My biggest problem beside toughness was density. I was getting it too hot and killing the yeast instead of rising it.  I warmed the oven then shut it off so it was just slightly warmed inside. That seamed to work fairly well, it rose enough, could have done a bit more. 

We ate half the loaf so that's the best so far. I need to get the water right and the kneading long enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment