Saturday, September 20, 2014

Chicken Curry


Does it look a little sickly yellow? Once I put the coconut milk in, the colour started coming out of the green peppers and colouring the sauce, not a pretty colour either. The coconut milk was watery and thin, translucent instead of opaque. I thought I left all the solids in the can. Nope. It was a can of Western Family Organic Coconut Milk I bought hoping it would at least be acceptable.  I was sorely disappointed. I don't know why, I can buy a can of good quality coconut milk for $1.49 so why can't WF put one out for $2.99?

I sweated an onion then added the chicken cubed and coated with flour. Salt on top and brown the chicken all over. I sprinkled about two teaspoons of curry powder over the chicken. Then I added the celery, peppers and after a minute, coconut milk. I reduced the sauce but it was still sickly looking. It tasted ok which was good enough at this point. I plated it with rice made with salt, olive oil and lemon juice.

The salad was fresh tomatoes and cucumbers from the garden with black olives, red onion and feta cheese from the store. 

Vinaigrette

1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp canola oil
1 tsp rice wine vinegar (or any vinegar)
salt
black pepper

The meal had potential but the anaemic coconut milk spoiled it for me. I know not to buy that brand. Why did I do it? Why? 

No comments:

Post a Comment