Thursday, November 13, 2014

Chicken on Curry Cous Cous with Mushroom White Wine Cream Sauce



I was feeling particularly creative today and wanted to try something completely different. I bought chicken earlier in the day so it was only a matter deciding how to put it on the plate. I found cous cous in the cupboard and looked up hot cous cous recipes. Curry stood out and that's what I went with. I shook about 1/4-1/2 tsp curry powder into 1/2 cup chicken stock/water. Curry likes a sweet something to take the bitter edge off, raisins work but I wanted more savoury, so I used frozen corn. Added it to the water with a splash of olive oil and some salt. I brought that to a boil for a minute to cook the corn then threw in the cous cous and set it aside for 5 minutes. That was easy.

The chicken I salted and rolled in a 50/50 mixture of flour and onion powder. Then brush oil over it on both sides and put it on the BBQ over the heat for 2 minutes. Then move it off the heat so it roasts for 30 minutes total cooking time. That gets grill marks on both sides, which looks nice.

The vegetables were just snow peas, celery and spring onions fried up in olive oil. Simple, but Fern loves celery so he loved it. It was surprisingly good.

Six mushrooms sliced up frying in butter, when they had a nice sear I sprinkled instant blending flour over all. Pinch of Salt. About 1/2 to 1 tsp flour to go with the 1 cup total liquid I planned to use. I cooked off the flour taste then slowly added milk and a splash of chicken stock. A tablespoon of cream for body. A tablespoon or two of white wine. I cut up 3 slices of dried tomatoes from the gardens and added them to the sauce. Then I turned up the heat and reduced the milk to a nice saucy consistency. 

I plated the chicken on the cous cous and put the sauce over both because they were meant to eat together. The curry, onion on chicken and white wine creamy mushrooms were phenomenal together.

Fern loved the vegetables too so it was a gold star dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment