Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard Sauce


I wanted a small pork loin roast but tenderloin was all they had, poor me.  At least it was On Sale, I bought a pack of two. I marinated the tenderloins in a brine of salt, sugar and molasses. Use more salt for shorter brining time. This time I used one tablespoon in a litre/4 cups of water. (Hint: microwave 1/2 cup water to dissolve salt then pour into 3 1/2 cups cold water.) The sugar counteracts the bitter taste in the molasses so not much is required. It brined for a few hours.

I got the potatoes on first, then turned on the BBQ and set the steamer on the burner. I find if I do all the prep work before starting cooking then I maintain control and take less time over all. The pork went on the BBQ straight from the brine. I forgot to oil it but the tenderloin was whole so it didn't stick much anyway. The potatoes were simply boiled in salt water and mashed with butter, salt and a little milk.  The carrots and broccoli were steamed then cooled quickly and reheated in olive oil. 

Honey Mustard Sauce

1/2 tsp flour
1 tsp butter
1/4 cup milk
1/2 oz white wine
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 tsp honey
1 pinch salt
mixed pepper

Melt the butter with the flour and cook the flour taste off, remove from heat. Whisking in a little at a time add the milk, then the white wine. Back on the burner and heat to bubbling. Add the mustard, honey, salt and pepper. If the sauce is too thin, increase heat and boil off the excess liquid. If it's about right, just keep the sauce warm, maybe with a lid.

I plated the sauce over the meat but placing the meat in the sauce might look better, I'll try it next time. When I made up the sauce it only took a minute or two, so I was quite surprised when I listed so many ingredients. Still, it is an easy sauce to make and it made the pork stand up and be counted!


No comments:

Post a Comment