Friday, November 28, 2014

Pork Cutlet with Broccoli and Hollandaise


I'm still buying Save On Foods breaded pork cutlets. They taste great and it's really nice to just drop them in the frying pan, no coating mess. The mashed potatoes were boiled in salted water then drained and mashed with butter and milk.  I cut the broccoli up, steamed and drenched it. All I had to do was put it back in the pot with olive oil and some salt.

So I was standing there looking at everything cooking with nothing to do. It's taken me 760 meals to get to this point. I have time to make Hollandaise! I separated an egg yolk into a small pot. Melted a 5mm slice from a pound of butter, melted not hot. Slowly whisk the butter into the egg yolk. In a glass mix 1/4 cup water and a few squirts lemon juice. It should be nice and tart because the butter will temper the acid. Add enough water/lemon to thin the sauce but don't make it watery. Put it on the heat and bring it up to temperature. If it thickens too much, add more water/lemon. If it's too thin, you ruined your sauce. (if a sauce is ruined, throw it out and don't mention it)

The condiment is Fern's home made ketchup. 

The pork - condiment went really well with the broccoli - Hollandaise and the potatoes held up the middle. It was no trouble at all to whip up the Hollandaise. I'm starting to feel confident in the kitchen. It feels good.


No comments:

Post a Comment