Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Sole with Slivered Almond White Wine Sauce


I was in the mood for fish but not anything fishy.  Fresh sole achieves that. I peeled potatoes and put in salted water on high heat. It takes about twenty minutes for potatoes to cook.  Sliced up a fresh carrot and put in ceramic bowl with frozen peas, put in microwave ready to cook. I broke up the head of lettuce, washed and spun it dry then put it all in big plastic bin.  An english cucumber sliced up was mixed into the lettuce. To make a salad all I have to do is whisk up a vinaigrette, add a handful of salad mix and toss.

I put two teaspoons of butter in my sauce pot and added a tablespoon of slivered almonds. Sprinkle a teaspoon of flour over all and whisk till it bubbles and cooks off the flour taste.  Remove from heat. Whisk in 1/4 cup milk and half as much white wine and a splash of beef stock. Return to heat and bring to a simmer. Simmer for a few minutes to reduce and thicken the sauce if necessary. Since it is a small amount of sauce it can be made first then reheated just before serving.

Start the peas and carrots first then I salted the fish well on one side, it's thin so one side should be enough. Then dredged it in flour. I set it in a large frying pan in hot olive oil.  It should brown quickly at the edges, then turn it over. Remove from pan as soon as it's done, it overcooks in a heartbeat. Drain, mash and add salt, butter and milk to the potatoes. Add butter, salt and black pepper to the peas and carrots.  Put sauce over or under the fish, depending how good the fish looks.

Vinaigrette

2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp canola oil
1-2 tsp raspberry vinegar
salt
pepper

Whisk, add salad mix. I also had mixed sweet peppers diced in the fridge so I threw them in the salad. I chopped up some fresh parsley and added that.  Toss everything and serve.

It seems to be important to serve the salad with the main course. If it's served after, it isn't eaten. I can't eat salad first because it will charge unobstructed through my digestive tract. So serving main course with salad seems to encourage consuming the whole meal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment