Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Chicken with Celery, Cheddar and White Wine Sauce


Fern is home from Vancouver and it is time for chicken! I wanted to keep it simple, tasty and high fibre if possible. I settled for the first two. I put rice on to cook with salt, olive oil and a few drops of lemon juice. The broccoli went in the steamer and the BBQ was warmed up.  I first salted then coated the chicken with a mixture of:

2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp flour
1/4 tsp poultry seasoning
1/4 tsp paprika

Brush the breasts with olive oil and put over the flame on BBQ for two minutes.  Then turn the breasts over and place off the heat so they cook gently. Roast for 25-30 minutes total cooking time. Bone in will take 45 minutes. The broccoli was steamed, cooled in running water and finished in olive oil.  

Once I had everything going I was standing with nothing to do so I thought, a celery sauce for that chicken would be nice.  Fern loves celery.  I put a teaspoon of flour in a pot and added two teaspoon of butter. I cooked that for a minute then added the chopped half stick of celery to sweat.  Next I added 1/2 cup milk and 2 teaspoon whipping cream and a pinch of salt. I tasted it. Pasty, fatty, not a good mouth feel and the taste was ugh! How about some cheddar cheese? I added the rest of the grated cheddar left over in the fridge. Half a cup at most. Now I had a pasty, cheesy ugh sauce. Maybe a little acid will fix it. Lemon juice would curdle the milk, as would wine vinegar, but I have white wine open in the fridge.  Two teaspoons of white wine and the flavour popped out of the sauce and it tasted wonderful. Oh the power of the humble grape.

If you like cheese sauce and celery you'll love this, so try it! Less than an hour to prepare.



No comments:

Post a Comment