Monday, June 18, 2012

Leftover Roast Beef Chili Con Carne


I decided to use up the roast beef in a new way, chili! I had some dried red kidney beans and pinto beans so I decided to use those.  I used the quick method, rinse off the beans in a sieve then cover them with water in a pot, a little salt and bring it to a boil. Boil 5 minutes then turn heat off and let them soak at least one hour, 2 is better.  After soaking I put the beans and soak water in a bowl.

In the pot I first browned a diced onion to golden then put in a carrot, celery stick and green pepper all finely diced.  I sweated these vegetables then added the meat to brown it.  When the meat had a sear I added the beans and water back in and added chicken stock to almost cover.  Finally a can of tomato sauce to cover the beans.  I brought it to a boil and simmered for more than 2 hours. The beans were still a little too firm so next time I'll allow 3 hours cooking time at least. For spice I added salt, mixed ground pepper, Mexican chili powder, cumin and fresh garlic.  I also added a jalapeno pepper, seeds and membrane removed, to the pot along with 6 mushrooms sliced up.

I sliced half a baguette down the middle and buttered it then put it in a paper bag in the oven to warm. I served the chili in a bowl with white rice on the side.  Extra Old Cheddar on the chili and parsley over all.  It was very good so I'll try that again but allow more time to soak and cook the beans.


No comments:

Post a Comment