Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Souvlaki on Rice with Greek Salad


Borrowing a trick from the roast beef, I bought a pork loin roast and took two thick slices off to make dinner tonight. I'll brine the rest for roast pork. I cubed my slices into about 3/4 inch pieces and put them in a glass bowl. I added two cloves of fresh garlic, crushed and chopped. I chopped up about two tablespoons of fresh oregano, a teaspoon of chives and two tablespoons of parsley and added that with some oil and juice of half a lemon.  Salt and mixed peppers freshly ground along with some paprika. Stir that together and put it in the fridge for as long as possible. I'm using bamboo kebabs so I soak them in water for half an hour before use. This prevents the ends from burning off and it also makes the meat easier to slide off. So I set them up in water.

Next the rice.  I measured out two servings and the appropriate amount of water.  A teaspoon of oil, salt, garlic powder and a little onion powder.  I don't like to use pepper or anything dark that makes the rice look dirty, those can be in what goes on top of the rice, but it's nice to impart some flavor into the rice to heighten the whole dish. I laid a couple of sprigs of fresh parsley on top, covered the rice and put it on to cook. I lit the barbecue to warm it up. 

Greek salad was straightforward, dice up 2 tomatoes, 5 inches of English cucumber (you don't have to peel them) and a thin slice of red onion.  (About now I put the kebabs on the fire). Add to that in a bowl several black olives sliced, some chopped parsley and a chunk of feta cheese crumbled on top. A little extra virgin olive oil to polish the taste and scoop it into bowls.

I cooked the kebabs on low heat for about 3 or 4 minutes per side so about 15 minutes total time. They have a nice sear on them but they aren't dry. The rice was great, I'll do that again.  The kebabs were delicious and the Greek salad was a welcome break from Cesar salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment