Saturday, June 23, 2012

Southwest Chicken with Mushroom White Wine Sauce



I like scalloped potatoes but my partner does not so they are a rare treat.  That also means I haven't had time to perfect my recipe. With that, here is how I put them together.  I sliced each potato in half lengthwise then thinly sliced each half.  I diced an onion and put it in the sauce pot to brown. When the onion was golden I separated it into two halves. I put a layer of potato in the scallop dish, some of the onion and salt and a sprinkle of flour. I added more layers till I had all the potatoes in then I added a little chicken stock for flavor, milk to almost cover them and a pad of butter.  I put them in a 400ºF oven for 30 minutes then turned it down to 375º for a further 30 minutes. I seasoned the chicken with my Southwest spice rub, seared it on one side, turned it over and popped it in the oven for 25-30 minutes.

The sauce started with the second half of the fried onion.  To that I added oil and sliced mushrooms and got a good sear on the mushrooms. Next some flour and oil and I cooked off the flour taste.  Then I added chicken stock and the rest of my white wine, about half an ounce.  Finally an ounce of milk and some salt, pepper and paprika. I let that simmer and reduce.

Frozen peas and a fresh carrot round out the plate.  The mushroom sauce was delicious and my partner said if I had put that sauce on the scalloped potatoes they would have been terrific.  As it was they were barely better than mashed. The Southwest Chicken with the mushroom sauce on it was definitely the star of the meal.  Taking all that into consideration my plating would have made more sense if the chicken was on the potatoes, then the sauce over all. Hopefully I'll remember that for next time.  Also I'll allow an hour and a half to prep and cook the scalloped potatoes next time. I know I can get more flavor in them.




No comments:

Post a Comment