Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Salsa on Cajun Chicken


We'll be having nachos later so I made salsa this afternoon. I had chicken in the fridge for dinner so while I was making salsa it occurred to me that my Cajun spice would go really well with the salsa. Cajun chicken done on the BBQ served on brown rice, topped with salsa and sweet corn. The rest of last nights Greek salad on the side. It tasted even better than it looks. Here's how I produced it.

Salsa

2 medium tomatoes diced, Roma are best
1 thin slice of red onion diced, or any sweeter onion
1 diced jalapeno seeds and membranes removed
juice of half a lime
1 tbsp chopped cilantro or parsley
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 shakes of cumin
pinch of salt
ground black or mixed pepper

I didn't dice my tomatoes finely enough so they rolled off the meat, do a better job next time Doug! The rice is my own blend of basmati brown and red rice with a little pot barley.  I cooked it with half water half chicken stock.  I started with half a cup of dry rice mix. To season I added 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder and a pinch of salt. I topped it off with some fresh chives and put it on to cook. The corn was frozen but it was still nice and tasty with lots of butter.

The chicken breasts I seasoned and sprayed with oil then put on the BBQ for 25-30 minutes.  I lay them at an angle for 2 minutes, rotate for 2 minutes, turn over 2 minutes then rotate 2 minutes.  Then I put the breasts in the center of the BBQ to finish cooking.  I use the two end burners to sear and heat the BBQ but the center burner I leave off so the food cooks but doesn't dry out.

I remembered my chives finally and I made an attempt at presentation.  The flavor was all there from the heat of the Cajun to the tangy lime of the salsa and the comfort of the stock in the rice. Even the frozen corn managed to tasted good.



No comments:

Post a Comment