Thursday, June 21, 2012

Molasses Brined Pork Loin


Late this morning I started brining that pork loin I had in the fridge.  I used

1 tbsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tbsp molasses
per cup water

I allowed 2 hours for the roast to cook so I readied my potatoes.  In the roasting pan I put the potatoes and drizzled oil over them.  I seasoned them with salt, mixed ground pepper and plenty of paprika. I cleared the center of the pan after tossing them and sat the roast on a trivet fat side up.  On the fat I laid 4 bay leaves, a couple of sprigs of thyme and finally rosemary on top. Inserted the meat thermometer and popped it all in the oven.

The carrots and broccoli I did in the microwave with just water and salt this time.  When they were done I drained them and added salt, butter and rice wine vinegar.  I wanted to see how it compared to lemon juice. It adds that acid tang that lemon does but it has a slightly sweet flavor so I wouldn't use it in every situation. Looked at another way, a lemon costs me 50 cents and the bottle of rice wine vinegar was given to me. So the meal before payday plan to use rice wine vinegar.

The condiment is my partner's Quebecois Ketchup.  Basically tomato, onion and pears. Now doesn't that sound delicious? I'll document it's making in the fall.



No comments:

Post a Comment