Saturday, June 30, 2012

Sirloin Tip Roast with Garden Salad



It was the smallest, cutest little roast I've ever seen. It was just a hair over 1 pound of Angus beef and it looked like an overgrown filet. It was $5.02 which is $2.51 per person for protein, well within my budget. I bought a large turnip because that was all they had.

I let the roast warm up on the counter for close to half an hour before seasoning it with my Beef Rub.  I seared it all round, inserted the meat thermometer and put it on a pan rack in the oven at 250ยบ.  I immediately started on the turnip, they take a hour to cook. I cut off about a third of it for tonight and put the rest back in the fridge.  Now I'll have to be creative to use up the rest of it, that should be fun.

I peeled a carrot and put it in with the turnip. A little salt and cover with water, bring to a boil and simmer for an hour.  Drain and mash, add butter and salt if needed and whip with a fork. Nothing special about the mashed potatoes.  I added only butter and salt.

The salad is fresh from the garden.  I picked the lettuce along with some oregano, chives and parsley.  A simple vinaigrette of olive oil/rice oil and balsamic vinegar. A pinch of salt, 1/8 tsp onion powder and mixed pepper. I whisked it up and added the chives, oregano and parsley.  Toss the salad in the dressing while adding some fresh grated parmesan. It tasted great.

The roast was a little tougher than I expected but it was full flavor.  Creamed horseradish condiment.  We have some horseradish in the garden but I haven't tried making my own yet.  Still suburban standard plating but I did remember to add chives and parsley this time. I butchered these last slices so they didn't lie nicely.  The other plate had a nice fan so I know I can do it.


No comments:

Post a Comment