Friday, January 17, 2014

Mushroom Chardonnay Chicken


I asked Fern what kind of chicken he would like for dinner and he asked for chicken with a mushroom white wine sauce. This is the first time I've taken an order, then shopped and prepared the requested dish. I picked up two breasts with skin and bones on so I could make skin treats for the dogs and chicken stock for sauces. I picked up about eight or ten small mushrooms too. As soon as I got home I boned the breasts and put the bones, an onion, a carrot, a stick of celery and a bay leaf in a pot of water and brought it to a fast boil.  I skim the grey foam that forms at the edges initially, it makes the stock cloudy. Simmer 30 minutes then cool and drain.

Fresh carrots and frozen peas round out the plate.  I almost never see fresh peas anywhere but I am perfectly happy with frozen. I felt butter on the vegetables would be better than olive oil with the fruity wine sauce. So after I nuked the peas and carrots together I drained them and added salt, pepper and a pad of butter. 

The oven was preheated to 375ºF.  I salted and floured the chicken then browned both sides in a well oiled pan.  Then the pan and all went into the oven for 25 minutes. 

The sauce was simple.  I fried the sliced mushrooms in oil and butter till they had a sear on them.  Then sprinkled salt and a teaspoon of flour over them.  I cooked the flour for a minute then added 1 ounce of chicken stock and 2 ounces white wine.  It looked a bit thin so I added an ounce of milk also. That gave it a little body. I whisked the lumps out and cooked it down. 

Fern loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment