Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Pork Teriyaki




Fern wanted something light and a stir fry usually fills that bill fairly well.  Pork tenderloin was on special so I picked up a small one, a red pepper and some mushrooms.  This dish takes less than an hour to put together and I start by getting everything out of the fridge,  washed and draining. I cut the meat into big bite size pieces, salt and flour it. I also cut into largish pieces the onions, celery and red pepper. Slice up the mushrooms and it's ready to start cooking. I usually start the rice just before chopping the vegetables. (The rice needs to be cooked a day ahead to make fried rice.)

First I sweated the onion a bit then added the pork.  I got a good sear all around the pork then started adding the other vegetables.  First the carrot, followed by the celery and frozen peas.  A splash of chicken stock, 2 teaspoon of oyster sauce (or fish sauce), 2 teaspoons of molasses (optional) and soy sauce. Add the mushrooms and red peppers.

Plate the stir fry over or beside the rice.  I added extra soy sauce to my rice. Fern thinks the molasses makes it too sweet but I like the flavour so next time I'll make it without for Fern.  

No comments:

Post a Comment