Thursday, May 15, 2014

Best Chicken Breast Yet, Fast Too!


We hadn't had chicken for a few days so it was time.  I was going to bread it but never got that far, I started a bit late so skipped that step.  So I salted the breast all over then put it in a plastic bag with two tablespoons of flour, one teaspoon of poultry seasoning, pepper and two teaspoons of onion powder. Shake, place on baking sheet and spray or brush with oil. That did two breasts.

The potatoes were the heirloom I bought last week. Fern doesn't like the purple ones so we won't see them again.  I put salt and butter on them. The broccoli was steamed then run under cold water and finished in the pot with olive oil. Cook it so it's still crisp. Reheat it in olive oil and the flavour is fantastic.

Vinaigrette

1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp white wine vinegar
1/8 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt
pepper

Whisk up and toss the salad in it.  I tried the Walmart house brand Dijon mustard and it isn't bad but Fern definitely prefers the Maille. If you prefer an assertive mustard flavour you'll like the Walmart brand.

I cooked the chicken for 35 minutes at 375ºF. It rested for 5 minutes before serving. Fern was yumming mmmm mmmmmm this is good before I even sat down. I finally found the right combination.  The onion powder sweetens as it cooks and lifts the poultry seasoning up. The flour browns. Herbs by themselves tend to scorch not brown. It's delicious and simple as can be. Next time I have to get chicken on the table fast, I'm doing this. It tastes like it took all day.


No comments:

Post a Comment