Saturday, May 31, 2014

Oregano and White Wine Marinated Chicken Breast


I decided on chicken early because I wanted fresh stock.  When I got home I boned the breasts and started the stock.  I was going to put the breasts in a plastic bag in the fridge but I stopped and reached for the marinator instead. What have I got to marinate chicken with.....fresh oregano! I cut a handful of oregano in the garden and got out several cloves of garlic. I finely chopped both together. First I salted the breasts all over then added the herbs, 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, generous quarter cup white wine and some mixed ground pepper.  I sucked the air out of the marinator with the Seal-A-Meal and let the chicken steep for 1 to 2 hours. Longer if time allows.

The rice had salt and olive oil but this time I also added maybe 5 drops of lemon juice.  The broccoli was steamed and finished in olive oil.  The salad was different too.  I forgot to buy a tomato so I decided to completely change the salad.

Vinaigrette

1 tbsp olive oil
1-2 tsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
mixed fresh ground pepper
1 clove garlic, smashed and chopped

Whisk and toss the lettuce and cucumber to dress.

I cooked the breasts over the burner on the BBQ for 2 minutes each side, then put them off the heat in the centre to roast. The BBQ thermometer read 400-450ºF so it was hot.  It took 25 minutes to cook the breasts.

We have been eating food with dry herbs all winter so my first taste of the chicken was a real surprise. It was moist with the taste of Chardonnay cooked into it and sweetened with the fresh oregano. The garlic hid in the background supporting the main characters. I couldn't taste lemon in the rice but it tasted better than white rice ever has before.  I think I got just enough acid from the 5 drops of lemon to bring out the natural flavour in the basmati rice.

I managed to not over cook the broccoli this time and Fern never complained it was cold, finally I got it right. The chicken and rice were so good I can't wait to make it again.  I really liked the salad this way too, although a tomato wouldn't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment