Sunday, May 11, 2014

Turkey Roll


I was going to get pork cutlets but one of those large turkey roasts was on special. They are rolls of turkey meat held together with a net so you get about a kilogram altogether. I paired it with Uncle Ben's Traditional Sage stove top stuffing. While I usually shy away from prefabricated food, I don't think I could do better in this situation, yet. Also a bit of cranberry sauce with the turkey.

All I did with the meat is salt and pepper it well and brush the whole outside with olive oil, then put it in a shallow pan  for about an hour and forty five minutes. I always use a meat thermometer, I prefer the electronic probe with a wire out the oven door. I can tell when a chicken breast is ready but there is no way to judge the middle of a 1 kilogram lump of meat by pressing on it. If I didn't have a meat thermometer I would cook it for longer at a lower temperature to be sure the centre is cooked.

I use the stove top directions for the stuffing because the microwave directions produce a less appealing result. The broccoli was steamed to almost done, then run under cold water and finished in olive oil with a bit of salt.

Vinaigrette

1 tbsp olive oil
1-2 tsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
fresh ground pepper
feta cheese

I broke a little feta cheese over the salad for variety. Black olives probably would have made sense. As it was, the cheese seemed to be in the wrong salad.

Overall it was a very nice meal and means an imminent Cashew Turkey Stir Fry!


No comments:

Post a Comment