Saturday, May 2, 2015

Pork Tenderloin


I wanted to cook the tenderloin  through on the BBQ without scorching the outside. So I sliced it lengthwise about 1/2 inch thick, not all the way through. Then flipped it open and sliced again so I had a more or less flat piece of meat. The obvious thing to do is put something in it and roll it back up, but that would defeat my purpose.  There is probably a name for doing this but I haven't a clue what it would be.

First I salted it well then sprinkled ground garlic over it, fresh garlic would be more flavourful but I'm pressed for time. Next some mustard powder and ground pepper. Finally some dried dill and then I brushed it with olive oil. I turned it over and on the other side I just brushed dijon mustard over all. I put them directly on the BBQ on medium high flame.

On the side are mashed potatoes with salt, butter and milk. Never use an electric device on potatoes, it turns them into a thick, unpalatable paste. Just whip them with a fork.

I steamed the carrots for a bit then added the broccoli. When it was almost cooked I cooled them in cold water and reheated them in olive oil.

The pork cooked for about 10 minutes on medium high flame, turning several times to get grill marks on the meat.

When Fern sat down in front of his plate he grimaced and said, "What is that?" 
Pork tenderloin flayed out so it cooks through. 
"That's not how it's supposed to be done!" Then he tasted it and all his objections melted away. It was absolutely delicious and NO pink in the middle. I don't mind it because I can tell the meat is cooked but Fern gets apoplectic over pink pork.

No comments:

Post a Comment