Sunday, May 17, 2015

Really Easy Cinnamon Rolls


The biscuits reminded me of these treats that are simply an extra step in the biscuit recipe. Of course starting with a really simple recipe, I would manage to screw it up. I mixed the dry ingredients then added the milk.  Once I had my dough made I realized I forgot the butter. I could throw out the dough or see if I can fix it.  I decided to use knives to cut the butter into the dough. It meant some pieces of butter were too big but it was the best I could do. I substitute a little corn flour for wheat flour to make the biscuits a little softer. It reduces the protein and increases the carbohydrate. It's not necessary but a nice touch if you only have all purpose flour.

Biscuits or Scones

1 3/4  cups flour
1/4     cup corn flour - to make all purpose flour into pastry flour
1/2     tsp salt
4 tsp  baking powder - there is no egg to help it rise
1/4     cup sugar
1/2     cup butter
1/2     cup milk

Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter. Make coarse oatmeal texture then add the milk.  Form into a slightly sticky ball using a bit more milk if necessary. Flour a flat area to roll the dough.  Sprinkle flour over the dough and roll it out to about 1/2 inch thick. Spread butter over the flattened dough. Spread 1/2 cup raisins over the dough. Next sprinkle cinnamon over the butter and raisins, as much as you like. Sprinkle brown sugar over the cinnamon, using enough to sweeten the cinnamon  that was just added. Keep in mind that the sugar will not melt so too much won't be good either. Roll the dough up into a tube and slice inch thick rounds. Put the rounds on a parchment covered cookie sheet. Mix a bit of melted butter with some brown sugar in it and brush the tops of all the rounds. Bake at 325F for 15-20 minutes on metal sheet or 25-30 minutes on a ceramic one. I use ceramic ones Fern found at the thrift shop for $5. Worth over $100 and I love them!

It's next morning and there are only three cinnamon rolls left out of 11. They're good!




No comments:

Post a Comment