Sunday, June 21, 2015

Cajun Chicken under Honey Mustard Corn Sauce


This meal sprang from the realization that I have time to make a sauce when everything is cooking. I started out just doing Cajun chicken, rice and broccoli but just had to try a little more.  The rice just had olive oil, salt and lemon juice in it. The broccoli was steamed, cooled and reheated in olive oil. The Cajun chicken was seasoned, brushed with olive oil and roasted on the BBQ. I cook it over medium to medium high heat for 5 to 10 minutes turning once then off medium low heat for 10 minutes till done. Cooking time depends on thickness so many breasts take 25-30 minutes.

While all that was cooking I put a teaspoon of Dijon mustard and a quarter cup of honey plus the juice from half a lemon and a pinch of salt in a small sauce pot and got it bubbling. I poured the honey mustard sauce, corn and all, over the breast. Fern said I should have basted the chicken with it while it was cooking. Basting it probably would have been better but I only made the sauce because the chicken was taking care of itself.

I'd make this again, a little more mustard, a little less honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment