Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Simple White Cake with Chocolate Peanut Butter Icing


If I need something fast, this cake is easy to whip up. When I make cakes I substitute about 1 tablespoon of corn flour for all purpose flour to make the cake softer.  (Doing this increases the carbohydrate and decreases gluten content making All Purpose Flour more like Cake and Pastry flour. Do this only if you happen to have corn flour)

Simple White Cake - preheat oven to 350F

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup milk

Grease and flour a 9x9 pan or press parchment into it. I use parchment so I can lift the whole cake out and put it under a dome.

Cream butter, then slowly cream in the sugar. By creaming I mean beat until smooth. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Beat in flour and baking powder. Stir in the milk and beat till incorporated then pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 30-40 minutes till toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool completely before icing.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Icing

1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup icing sugar
splash of milk

Cream butter and peanut butter. Beat in cocoa powder and icing sugar. Stir in enough milk to thin icing till it can be spread. Spread evenly on the cake.

I couldn't wait to dig into it.



No comments:

Post a Comment