Saturday, June 6, 2015

Not Cajun Chicken!


Even I was beginning to wonder if I could cook chicken without Cajun spice. Tonight I gave it a try.  I got out a plastic bag and added:

1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground ginger
2 cloves garlic chopped
a few anise seeds - ground with mortar & pestle

I shook the 3 breasts in the bag to coat evenly, then brushed with olive oil and put over medium heat in the BBQ. I turned them over after about 5 minutes and once the second side was seared moved them off the heat so they'd roast. They took about 20 minutes to cook. Juices will run free of blood when chicken is cooked. Also, get used to pressing on the meat on the grill to see how it changes as it cooks.

The rice had several drops of fresh squeezed lemon juice and a bit of rind to back it up. I added soy sauce to my rice, Fern likes his plain, I like soy. The peas were frozen, cooked in the microwave and finished with butter.

Fern said it tasted great but would have been better with a honey glaze. Normally he hates sweet tastes on a dinner plate so this suggestion surprised me. It was good, I could taste the garlic and ginger with just a hint of anise in the background. Definitely it will get a glaze next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment