Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Fresh Salmon and Hollandaise!


I couldn't wait to taste the fish so it has a bite taken out of it. Kevin went fishing and caught a nice salmon for us. I had to fillet it but neither of us got any bones so I did a good job and it wasn't too difficult. I salted the fish first then soaked it in a marinade for a few minutes, before putting it on the grill.

Salmon Marinade

1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup molasses

I put it skin side down over flame but turned it down to med-low and turned up the heat beside the fish so it roasted on top. It took 15-20 minutes to cook on top but it was perfect! Moist, delicious. Kevin said use brown sugar but Fern doesn't like sugar on his food so I used molasses and I liked it better too. It let the natural sweetness of the fish come through.

The potatoes were boiled and finished with salt and butter. The broccoli was steamed, cooled and reheated in olive oil.

Hollandaise

1 egg yolk 
1/4 cup butter melted not hot
1 pinch salt
1 tsp cold water
1/2 lemon juiced

Slowly whisk butter into egg to emulsify. Add juice from half a lemon, salt and water. Heat till it bubbles and serve over the broccoli to keep it warm.

The fish was the best we've ever had. I'm not sure if that's because it was fresh caught or was it my skill cooking it? If I can do it twice, it's skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment