Friday, June 10, 2016

4 Yolk Ice Milk



I wanted to try making ice cream with 4 egg yolks instead of 6 to see if the texture would remain soft. So I separated my yolks and started beating them. I slowly added 3/4 cup sugar to the yolks. While that was whipping I heated up 2 cups of milk and one cup of whipping cream with a vanilla beans insides. I was short a cup of whipping cream, no idea where it went, so I used more milk, hence ice milk. I simmered the milk mixture for a few minutes then removed from heat and slowly added a cup of it to the whipping yolks. With the yolks tempered, I added them to the hot milk and returned it to the heat to thicken. Don't let it boil or it will cook the egg into lumps. A minute or so did mine. It needs to cool.

I thought about cooling it in the fridge but thought, the ice cream maker has a freezer unit so put the hot mixture in and hope it doesn't over churn. It worked. I had to give the timer some extra but the texture was fine. I would still recommend cooling it in the freezer first if you have time.

The taste was rich from egg yolk, the extra eggs weren't missed. The missing cream produced a lighter product that was quite delightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment