Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Chicken Cordon Swisse


I broke up the remainder of the old bathtub and took it to the recyclers this afternoon so I wasn't up for a marathon in the kitchen. Mitchell's make chicken cordon swisse that are as good as I could make and much easier than doing it myself. I sprayed them with oil and put them in a 350F oven for 25 minutes, when they leak they're done. The rice was done in the microwave with salt and olive oil. The beans were blanched, drained and finished in butter with pearl onions. The onions are left over from Coq au Vin and I really like them to perk up an otherwise ordinary side dish. They are only warmed inside, not really cooked but that tasted great to me. Fern seemed to want them more cooked but I'm afraid they'd disintegrate. One day I'll try cooking them more and see what happens. 

Hollandaise - it really is easy

1 egg yolk
1/3-1/2 cup melted butter - melted but not hot
juice 1/2 lemon
1 tsp water
salt

Hollandaise is simple and easy. Slowly whisk the melted butter, a teaspoon at a time, into the yolk until it's all taken up. The yolk should have the consistency of mayonnaise at this point. Too much butter at once will break it. Whisk in the lemon juice, salt and water. This will make it look awful but the magic happens when you cook it. A minute or two before you want to plate it put the sauce on the heat (boiling water or induction element). Whisk briskly, it will smooth out to a beautiful sauce as it cooks. Plate sauce over chicken and rice.

I'd be happy with Hollandaise on an old shoe so I thoroughly enjoyed this meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment