Monday, June 27, 2016

Milk Soaked Liver, Onions and Bacon



This is the first time having liver since I learned about soaking it in milk to remove the excess iron taste. Also I recently learned that liver causes signs of iron toxicity in the blood within an hour of eating it. So soaking it makes sense and eating it no more than once per month makes more sense. I put the liver in a container, covered it with milk and put it in the fridge for a couple of hours. 

I fried a couple of strips of bacon till crisp and removed them from the pan. Then I fried two thinly sliced onions till caramelized and removed them from the pan. I drained the liver, dredged it in flour and fried it in plenty of oil. Sprinkled a bit of salt over it while it cooked.

The new potatoes were boiled and finished with salt and butter. The vegetables were frozen peas microwaved, cooled under running water and drained then reheated in olive oil with diced red pepper and pearl onions. Tomato ketchup on the liver. The onions and bacon are plated under the liver.

The milk soak definitely made a difference. The liver had great flavour without the excess iron taste I can now recognize. The peas were really good this way too. Overall a great meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment