Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Sweet Pepper Chicken Fajita mostly


I demolished the first half of a cast iron bathtub with a sledgehammer today, that's how you get built in ones out. Between cuts, blisters and sore muscles I could barely hold the knife to prepare this meal. One day I hope I learn I'm actually 20 years older than the last birthday I remember.

Basically the plate has four components, salsa, refried beans, guacamole and taco. I didn't have cilantro or parsley and didn't care a whole lot so the salsa only had tomato, chives, jalapeño, lime juice, salt and black pepper . I finely diced one seeded jalapeño and used a third of it in each of the salsa, guacamole and refried beans. Using rubber gloves to process the pepper made my eyes much happier later. I used only one lime and divvied it up among the components. 

The guacamole was mashed avocado with lime juice, jalapeño, sour cream and salt. Not too much sour cream because I'm going to plate with it.

Refried beans are Old El Paso brand refried beans. Nothing else I've tried so far tastes as good as these to start, including making my own beans. To that I add jalapeño, lime juice, a little sour cream and salt. Warm them up and they're good to go.

Taco was a caramelized onion and yellow pepper cut into strips then sweated and taken from the pan. Sliced mushrooms seared nicely and removed then two chicken breasts cut into strips, coated in flour and seared in the pan. Add 1 tsp chicken stock powder, salt, mixed pepper, 1/4 cup water, all ingredients back in and then reduce to a thick sauce.  Plate onto a flour tortilla, roll it up and over into the centre of the plate. Extra filling I put along the taco under the refried beans. Salsa on the other side and guacamole and sour cream dolloped on top.

When I started eating it tasted great but I realized I forgot to add the taco seasoning to the chicken. It was still great but it was wide of Mexican. Fern said it was delicious anyway and if I hadn't mentioned it he never would have noticed.



No comments:

Post a Comment