Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Prawns and High Fibre Pasta


I didn't know Barilla made whole grain pasta so I was surprised by the funny colour of the rotini. The package only said PLUS! without much else to inform the consumer. Plus what? Probably fibre but it's hard to tell. I decided to try it. So I put some in water and got out a jar of Mezzetta Tomato Basil sauce, almost as good as making it from scratch. I also got the prawns out into a sieve sitting in cold water.

I smashed and chopped three cloves of garlic and put them in a pan with oil and butter.  Once the garlic was sweated a bit I added the prawns with some salt.  As soon as one side was done I turned them over. Before the centre was done I added the sauce. When the pasta was done I shook it in the colander longer to get as much water off as possible.  The water on the plate is still forming.  I'm not sure if it's water from the pasta or merely liquid strained out of the sauce.  It mixes back in easily enough so it might belong there. 

I find the white prawns lack flavour and I haven't found a source of tiger prawns yet so this dish isn't as good as it could be. It's still outstanding, but could be better. The pasta seemed to have a slightly different texture, not in a bad way, just different. It could be my imagination since this isn't a blind taste test. The fibre did seem to be doing it's job this morning, so I'll continue to buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment