Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Yellow Split Pea Soup


I really like pea soup. I started with a large shallot diced and sweated.  Then added a finely chopped carrot, celery stick and a clove of garlic. 2 bay leaves. 2 slices of ham diced.  I also shook a tiny bit of nutmeg and cinnamon in too.  Not enough to be tasted, just a tiny hint. All my chicken stock, at least a litre or quart. 450 gm dried peas rinsed. Water to cover peas or add water as it cooks down so it doesn't thicken and burn. Simmer at least an hour, 2 is better.

Fern said it needed salt and pepper. It needed something. For lunch I'll add salt and pepper and see how it is.

I added a good pinch of salt and good grind of black pepper to a bowl of soup and it was much better. No longer bland. In the pot it would be at least 2 teaspoons of salt, proably more. I should know better. In every cooking competition I watch, at some point a judge mentions salt.



No comments:

Post a Comment