Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Roast Pork Loin


It was a chicken or pork night. I found a nice pork loin to roast and potatoes were on sale, just when I needed some! The condiment is Fern's 'ketchup' from his French Canadian cookbook. I was home early enough to soak the roast in a brine of:

2 tbsp salt
2 tsp molasses
2 tsp sugar
2 cup water

for a few hours. I cut a sprig of rosemary and got a bay leaf from the back yard, my thyme seems to have become a victim of aggressive oregano, so I used dried. I peeled potatoes and carrots and tossed them with salt, mixed pepper, rice oil (or any cooking oil) and a little olive oil for flavour. 

Place the herbs on top of the roast. If I'd thought of it I would spray a little oil over the herbs so more flavour would carry down to the meat. I inserted a meat thermometer to the centre of the meat and put it in the oven at 300ºF for about 1.5 hours. When the roast was done I set it on the counter under foil to rest.  A roast has to cool before being cut or all it's moisture will escape as steam when it's carved.

I put some peas in the microwave and warmed some plates. These plates are too big because that is a little more food than I need but the plate isn't full. A smaller plate makes a smaller portion look bigger, which is good for my lost long ago boyish figure.


No comments:

Post a Comment