Sunday, October 13, 2013

Snapper and Chips


We hadn't had fish in a while so I went out with snapper in mind.  I found a package of fresh small fillets, grabbed some Brussels sprouts on the way to the till and completely forgot about the mayonnaise for tartar sauce. Too bad because the fish really needed something. Any kind of sauce would have lifted this dish out of the doldrums.  I did give it a few drops of lemon juice so it wasn't bad, it just wasn't great.

I boned then salted and seasoned the fillets with my snapper rub, which I'll rework so I won't detail it here. I also decided to make fries.  I chose small potatoes with no defects, scrubbed them well and left the skins on. I ran them through the cheap plastic fry cutter that probably succeeds because of it's simplicity. I did the veggies in the steamer and finished them with olive oil on medium low heat. The snapper was fried in a pan.

This plate would have been a treat a year ago. Now it's just the same old snapper. I have noticed the last few meals I have had time when I'm just standing waiting so that is when I should be making a sauce or  other component. I have to perfect the basic steps before I'm ready to take on more so it's an important indication of where I am.  I should try to improve my plating with the new component, whatever it turns out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment