Monday, October 28, 2013

Pressure Cooker Beef Short Ribs


Now that I stock red wine and have a pressure cooker I wanted to try short ribs. I read a few recipes to give an idea of what to put in them. First season the meat with salt and black pepper then brown with oil in the cooker. Once the meat is sealed all over the potatoes, onion and carrot go in to sweat.  I added nearly a cup of red wine and half a cup of water to the pot and put the pressure lid on. The recipe said to cook for 50 minutes but after 20 my pot was out of moisture so I opened it.  The ribs were cooked and fairly tender so I decided to stop there and see how it all turned out.

The flavour was pretty good but certainly had plenty of room for improvement.  The meat wasn't rubbery but wasn't tender either. If I had added more liquid and the vegetables at this point the results would have been better. Overall it was a very good meal and doesn't take too much effort in the pressure cooker. The broccoli was done in the microwave and seasoned with butter, salt and black pepper.  Short ribs aren't particularly cheap so I don't know if I'll make this a lot.


No comments:

Post a Comment