Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Cashew Chicken Fried Rice


I already ate a third of the plate when I realized I hadn't photographed it. Still looks good. When I headed out to the store Fern asked for something light, "A stir fry?" I asked. 
"Yes"
So I put rice on to cook and off I went to get mushrooms, green pepper and chicken breasts.  I stopped at Mitchell's to check the price of chicken then continued on to Save On.  As usual, Save On has only large packages of meat suitable for a family of six.  Apparently I'm the only Save On customer shopping for fresh food for two. They do have individual breasts for sale, for double the price. I bought mushrooms and a green pepper and headed to Safeway.

I looked at the bone in, skin on breasts. Then the boned and skinned breasts. They were cheaper than Mitchell's but I wondered if Mitchell's quality could bridge that difference. I decided to try. So I bought some olive oil and headed for Mitchell's to buy chicken, then home.

I diced half an onion and chunked the other half.  I mostly caramelized the diced onion before putting the cubed, salted and floured chicken in the pan.  Plenty of oil and a small drizzle of sesame oil. When the meat was almost done I took it out of the pan and set it aside.  I fried the mushrooms next then added the carrot, then the celery and finally the green pepper. I added a tablespoon of oyster sauce and two tablespoons of soy sauce. Add the meat and a handful of cashews then toss. Break the rice up in the pan and toss to coat.  Serve on warmed plates.

It's hard to screw this up, but starting with frozen pre cut vegetables would be a good way.

No comments:

Post a Comment