Thursday, June 5, 2014

Home Alone Rib Steak


Fern had to go to town overnight so I had a nice rib steak for dinner. Asparagus was on sale so I picked that up.  I planned to make hollandaise sauce for it.  A baked potato with sour cream and a few prawns in the hollandaise rounded out the plate.

I seasoned the steak with salt and black pepper then did it on the BBQ in 2x2x2x2 minutes to get crossed grill marks on both sides. Baked potato was done in the microwave, the asparagus was steamed. 

The hollandaise sauce was made in the microwave from fresh ingredients. I needed sauce for one so I used only one egg yolk and put all the sauce on the plate. That is how much hollandaise that can be made from one egg yolk.

Microwave Hollandaise Sauce

1 egg yolk
1/4 cup melted butter (NOT HOT - hot butter will cook the egg)
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp water
salt

Whisk the butter into the egg a little at a time till it is all emulsified, like mayonnaise. Whisk in lemon juice and a little water, pinch of salt and put on low heat. The emulsion will melt first then thicken as it heats and cooks. If it thickens too much add a little water.

I used frozen cooked prawns that I took the tails off. When the hollandaise was ready I added the prawns to the hollandaise to warm up while everything else was plated. 

This meal was delicious from every angle and it is absolutely worth while making all this for one person, me.


No comments:

Post a Comment