Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Cashew Chicken with Fried Rice


It's been a while since we've had a stir fry, they used to be a regular meal. I cooked the rice in the early afternoon and put it in the fridge so it would be cold when I started frying.  Rice likes to be kept in the fridge for a bit before being fried. I picked up a green pepper and some mushrooms at Save On then went to Safeway to buy the chicken. I didn't get started cooking till just after 6pm and Fern had to leave before 8pm so I was cutting it close. It wasn't that long ago it would take me two hours to make this. I called Fern to pick up his plate at 7:01pm, not bad, but I'd be Chopped first at that speed!

I started by cutting up all my vegetables, defrosting, par cooking and draining the peas and corn, boning and cubing chicken, salting and flouring it. I put canola oil and a few drops of sesame oil in my large frying pan and the same in my smaller one. In the large pan I browned my chicken all around but didn't cook it through and removed it from the pan.  More oil as needed with the carrot, followed by onion, celery and mushrooms. Once the mushrooms had a sear I added the green pepper and chicken. While it's cooking I added 1/2 cup unsalted cashews, 1 tsp oyster sauce and 2 tsp soy sauce. A splash of beef stock to moisten it all and keep tossing it. The largest pieces of chicken have to cook to the centre and the peppers have to soften a little.

At the same time in the other pan I sweated the onions, carrots and celery, then seared the mushrooms. Finally adding the rice with 1 tsp fish sauce, 2 tsp soy sauce and more oil as needed. When the other pan was almost ready I added the peas and corn to the rice. Plating was simple. There's so much going on in the food, a garnish would get lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment