Friday, June 27, 2014

Pork Souvlaki


I wasn't sure what I would get for dinner, but it was late, so when I spotted a package of cubed sirloin on special, I snapped it up.  It would get less than 30 minutes in the marinade so I'll get to see if that vacuum marinator actually helps. I put two tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tsp lemon juice, two crushed cloves fresh garlic, one tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, 1 tsp fresh chives, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp paprika. Added the meat, mixed it up and sucked the air out.

I got rice going with salt, olive oil and a few drops of lemon juice. The broccoli was cut up ready for the steamer. The salad was fresh lettuce from the garden with tomato and apple.

Vinaigrette

1 tbsp olive oil
1-2 tsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
pepper

Whisk and toss the salad in it.

The meat marinated for maybe 30 minutes at most. I let air into the marinator slowly so the marinade would be forced into the meat by the rising pressure. Then I took it out and put it in a hot frying pan to get a nice sear all around. When the centres were cooked I served the pork on the rice.  I put the broccoli in the steamer when the meat when in the pan. It softened a little then I cooled it and reheated in olive oil. 

I surprised myself with how good this was. I think Mitchell's marinade is a bit better but this was very good for it's simplicity. I think the vacuum marinator did improve the flavour because just sitting the pork in the marinade probably wouldn't have imparted as much flavour. It doesn't speed up softening the meat, that takes time, but it's definitely good when time is short.


No comments:

Post a Comment