Friday, June 20, 2014

Shake'n Bake Chicken


I was working around the house and yard all day and didn't get a chance to go shopping till after 5pm. As we occasionally do in this situation, I went to Safeway to buy a roasted chicken with potato salad, coleslaw and the worst buns imaginable. Unfortunately they seem to no longer stock devilled egg potato salad, only 'classic' which even the dogs don't like. I don't like coleslaw and I wanted more than just chicken for dinner so I decided to get a couple of tenderloin steaks to BBQ, that's fast and easy. Nope, the shelf space was empty. Safeway really doesn't want to sell me anything today! So I went to Save On and all I could find was a pack of chicken thighs, so I thought "I could buy Shake'n Bake so it would be fast to prepare." So that's what I did.

I also picked up some new potatoes, boiled them in salted water then coated with butter and chives. I put a dollop of sour cream on mine with a few chives on top. The broccoli was steamed, run under cold water and reheated in olive oil. It took 45 minutes for the bone in chicken to cook but I had dinner plated before 7:15pm so it wasn't too late.

The sour cream was overkill on the potatoes, they lost their delicate flavour to the overwhelming dairy mass. The broccoli was perfect, for a change. The chicken was surprisingly good.  I can make a breaded breast that tastes as good but not substantially better so this is a good option for days that I'm tired and need to cut some corners. The dogs don't like it because they don't get crispy chicken skins. They did get the extra thigh, boned of course, which they both ate with gusto. Shake'n Bake costs over $1.50/meal compared to probably ten cents if I made the breading myself so it is dear for what it is but as a substitute for ready to eat, it's a good option. This is original extra crispy flavour.

No comments:

Post a Comment