Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Tacos


This is the first time I've made tacos for a while.  I started with small flour tortillas and heated them in the oven.  The filling was a bit over half a pound of lean ground beef and the meat from a breakfast sausage. I put the meat in a hot pan, salted it a bit cooked the meat all the way through before adding 2 tsp taco seasoning and half a cup of beef stock. I cooked the stock down for a bit then sprinkled a little flour over the meat to thicken the last bit of moisture.

I grated a cup of extra old cheddar, just under a cup would have been enough, I had a little too much. I put taco filling on the tortilla, covered with grated cheese and rolled up. A line of sour cream between the tacos and some of Fern's home made salsa. If you don't have any salsa here is a simple fresh one:

Quick Fresh Salsa

2 ripe tomatoes diced
1 jalapeno (with as many hot seeds as you can stand, I use none)
1 slice white or red onion diced
tablespoon chopped cilantro
juice from a lime
salt
pepper

Usually I would put undressed tomato and lettuce under the tacos but this time I made a dressing.

Vinaigrette

1 tbsp olive oil
1-2 tsp lime juice
1/2 tsp salt
pepper
fresh parsley or cilantro

Toss tomatoes and lettuce and plate beside the tacos.

I'm not sure how it looks in the photo but it tasted great.  Definitely the best pseudo Mexican meal I've ever put out. Took less than an hour to make too, so fairly fast. Fern didn't like the lime in the salad, he would have preferred wine vinegar. I probably could have gotten away with lemon juice. He's so fussy sometimes.


No comments:

Post a Comment