Thursday, June 12, 2014

White Wine Chicken with Asparagus and Microwave Hollandaise Sauce


I wanted chicken but not the spice rub we've had lately. I got out my trusty marinator and boned the breasts into that. I drizzled olive oil over them, then white wine, salt, paprika and chives. I then put the top on, sucked the air out and shook the marinator to fully coat the breasts. I shook it again each time I moved past it. I like the marinator because it doesn't leak. I'm not convinced the vacuum effect actually helps but the marinator is definitely better than a bowl and plastic wrap.

Vinaigrette

1 tbsp olive oil
1-2 tsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
pepper
2 drops Worcestershire Sauce
3 drops oyster sauce

I was experimenting here. The combination tasted good off the spoon but fell a little on the salad. It has promise so tonight I'll leave out the Worcestershire and see how that tastes.

I finally figured out how to make rice that tastes good on it's own, no soy sauce needed. 

Rice for two

1/2 cup basmati rice
1 cup water
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp lemon juice

The acid in the lemon juice brings out the natural flavour of the rice. It is so simple and yet it took me years to figure out.

Easy Hollandaise

1 egg yolk
less than 1/4 cup butter, melted but not hot
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp water
salt

In a 4 cup measure whisk the egg yolk. Slowly whisk in the butter to fully emulsify it. Add it too fast and the sauce will break. Once all the butter is absorbed add the other ingredients. During the last two minutes of the asparagus steaming put the sauce in the microwave on high for 20 seconds. Take it out and stir it then put it back in for 10 seconds. Take it out and stir. Repeat till it's the desired consistency. The asparagus was steamed for about 5 minutes then served immediately with Hollandaise spooned over top.

The marinade worked great with the Hollandaise which worked well with the rice. The whole plate was harmonious.

No comments:

Post a Comment