Sunday, June 8, 2014

Fern's Back Spaghetti


Fern is back from Vancouver so I made spaghetti because it can be kept hot and finished quickly when he gets home. I sweated an onion, carrot and celery stick. Fern had sweated some mixed peppers for me and I had some mushrooms. When all the vegetable ingredients were started I removed everything from the pan and put the ground beef in, about 500gm or a bit more than a pound. While that was browning I chopped up a small chorizo sausage for a little spice. This one was from Save On Foods, cost about $3.50 which put me off but hopefully it will be better than the much cheaper one I tried several years ago.

Once the meat was browned I added a cup of beef stock and two cans of tomato paste and a can of Aylmer tomato soup. A smashed and diced garlic clove followed by some water to thin it out. Add salt, pepper and plenty of basil. Taste it to see where it is then add more beef stock or water as needed. Simmer it slowly for a couple of hours and it's done.

Vinaigrette

1 tbsp olive oil
1-2 tsp white wine vinegar
salt
pepper
1 tbsp fresh oregano
dot of mustard

Whisk the dressing and add tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber and half an apple diced. Toss and serve. The spaghetti has fresh grated parmesan on top.

It was very good. I think I'm going in the right direction with tomato paste instead of buying tomato sauce. A can of tomato sauce has tomato paste, beef stock, water and salt so why not mix that up myself and save a few bucks?



No comments:

Post a Comment