Friday, March 1, 2013

$.89 crab cakes


The fish counter hasn't had any of the Louis Kemp imitation crab which I find so good in crab cakes but the Alaskan King Crab flavored Pollock was on special for $.89/100gm (about 1/4 lb) so I picked some up.  It doesn't have the texture of crab but it might have enough flavor.

I tried chopping it up into crab like pieces but that wasn't successful.  So I just sweated some onion, celery and Fern's frozen mixed peppers.  I added an egg, some bread crumbs and flour hold it all together.  Salt, pepper and paprika for seasoning.  They cooked fairly well and I served them with some tartar sauce made from sweet pickle relish, mayonnaise, lemon juice and salt. For some reason I had a craving for potato salad so that's what I made at the back of the plate.  A little too much lemon juice made it a bit too thin. More of that carrot garnish.  I just can't seem to finish that stuff!

The crab cakes were vaguely reminiscent of crab flavor but in no way tasted like crab. They didn't taste bad, but they didn't taste good either.  The texture is completely wrong. Rubbery. In my opinion, it doesn't matter how cheap Alaskan king crab flavored pollock is, it is simply not good enough to be worth eating. (the dogs loved it!)


No comments:

Post a Comment