Friday, March 1, 2013

Pot Roast for One


Fern is still away and it is a fish or beef day. There wasn't anything interesting at the fish counter. The only beef that seemed compelling was a little pot roast for $3.98. So I picked it up.  Asparagus was on special so I bought a bunch as everything else is very pricey right now. I had the cauliflower from a few days back.  

First I seared the roast all round in hot oil. Add 1 onion, 1 carrot, 1 stick celery, 2 bay leaves, salt, pepper and cover with water.  Add an ounce or two of red wine, bring to a boil, cover and simmer 3 hours.  Turn the meat over every 30 minutes or at least once during cooking. Boiled potatoes just seem right with pot roast so that's what I made, just butter and salt on them.  I steamed the cauliflower and asparagus together and finished them in extra virgin olive oil on a medium low burner. A little grated parmesan over the cauliflower and a few drops of lemon juice on the asparagus. Horseradish is the condiment on the meat.

Despite having to cook this meal for 3 hours, it wasn't all that much work. The meat was wonderful and  everything tasted great together.  The plating isn't pretty but the flavor is fully satisfying. I definitely recommend making pot roast for one, it's well worth while.

No comments:

Post a Comment