Monday, March 11, 2013

Prawns in tomato basil sauce on fresh pasta


We had surprise guests for dinner last night so I decided prawns and pasta would be nice and easy enough. I didn't have time to photograph the plate so I'm cheating a little and using the photo from last time I made this. Last nights plate looked better than this so I'm really cheating myself here.

Pasta - 2 servings - 1 if you're a Yeti

2/3 cup flour
1 large egg

Use a fork to stir the egg into the flour and form a ball.  Cover and chill in fridge for 30 minutes. Cut ball in half and start working dough.  Pasta dough should not be sticky, if it is at all sticky, dust with flour and fold it in. Keep adding flour and working the dough till it is uniform and not sticky. Cut into fettuccine. 

Tomato Basil Sauce

2 tbsp oil in pan to sweat shallot and garlic
1 tsp flour
2 tsp oil
1 shallot diced
2 cloves garlic crushed, chopped
8-10 prawns per person
2 or more tbsp chopped fresh basil
16 oz/500ml tomatoes
salt
black pepper

I started the sauce by lightly caramelizing a shallot in two tablespoons oil, sweating the garlic and removing it all from the pan.  Next I cooked the prawns with a little salt then removed them from the pan. To the empty pan I added the flour and oil.  Mix and cook the flour taste off. Add the tomatoes, mix and cook for a few minutes.  Add all ingredients to pan and test for seasoning. Add salt and/or black pepper to taste. Put pasta in boiling water.  Everything should be ready at the same time. Drain pasta and serve with parmesan cheese grated over top.

When I finally sat down to eat I was delighted with the flavor I had developed. I remarked with satisfaction to our guests that this was a restaurant quality meal.  

"Better than restaurant!" they chimed in, "We don't get food this good when we eat out."

Now that made me feel good!



No comments:

Post a Comment