Friday, March 29, 2013

Lamb Shoulder Chops


I have always enjoyed lamb when I've tried it in a restaurant so I was hopeful when I found a couple of shoulder chops for under $4. I found a simple recipe online that called for seasoning then searing the meat and sweating garlic, onion, carrot and celery.  The lamb was added back in with the sweated vegetables and covered with a splash of chicken stock and plenty of white wine. The recipe called for fresh tomatoes or tomato sauce, none of which I had so I decided to try tomato paste. It worked! Half a can made all the sauce I needed.  Tonight I'll use up the rest.

I boiled potatoes and steamed the Brussels Sprouts then finished them in xv olive oil on low heat.  I served the lamb and sauce right over the potatoes.  The sprouts were wonderful.  The lamb was kind of good and kind of not.  I'm not sure if I under seasoned it or was it not a particularly good lamb to start with.  The sauce wasn't nice either so I think I put too much in it. I had thrown in a sprig of rosemary and one of thyme that weren't called for in the recipe and I think that muddied the flavor. Here's the recipe I used:

Braised Lamb Shoulder Chops

Sear chops all round.  Sweat a carrot, stick of celery, two cloves garlic and half an onion all diced. Add tomatoes and some white wine. To all of that I added chicken stock, rosemary and thyme which didn't help at all so don't do it. Simmer 45 minutes. 

No great lamb but I think that was my fault.  Not a bad dinner overall though!

No comments:

Post a Comment