Thursday, March 28, 2013

Cajun Chicken Ceasar


Fern wanted chicken on a Caesar salad for dinner.  He's never that specific so there is no leeway here. I set about boning the chicken and putting the skins in a frying pan to crisp for the dogs.  I put oil and croutons in a pan and browned them with salt and pepper for the salad.  I needed an egg yolk for the salad dressing so I separated an egg and put the yolk aside.  I added a tablespoon of Cajun seasoning, two tablespoons of flour and a tablespoon of milk  to the whipped egg white and whipped it in.  I pounded the chicken to double in size and coated it in flour then dipped it in the Cajun Batter. Immediately into a hot frying pan with plenty of oil.

Caesar Salad Dressing

1 egg yolk
1/2 cup oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
salt
black pepper
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp grated parmesan
1 anchovy fillet - optional

I use half rice oil/half extra virgin olive oil because I find the taste of xv olive oil too overpowering in mayonnaise.  Add the oil to the egg yolk in 1/2 tsp amounts and whip it in, till all the oil is taken up. Crush and chop the garlic and anchovy.  Add them with the lemon juice, salt and pepper. Whisk into sauce. Wash and spin the romaine lettuce.  Toss the lettuce in the dressing, then add the croutons and toss. Finally the grated parmesan. Toss.

I let the chicken cool before slicing it and topping the salad.  A little grated parmesan over all. It was  a bit under seasoned but wonderful anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment