Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies


We had spaghetti from a previous batch of sauce, so no dinner to describe. Well, I suppose I could.  I boiled spaghetti pasta for twelve minutes and reheated sauce in a pot on the stove.  I did grate fresh parmesan cheese to top the dish, so I did do a little more than reheat, but not much.

I decided to make cookies at 10:20pm as I hadn't bought any and munchies were knocking at the door. Working as fast as possible with a cut finger, I set to work on oatmeal cookies. This recipe is from Joy of Cooking and is a good starting point for variations

Oatmeal Cookies

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup flour
1 cup oatmeal flakes
optional
1/2 cup raisins, nuts, chocolate chips, Bertie's Every Flavor Beans or whatever

Cream butter, then cream white, then brown sugar. Add beaten egg, milk, vanilla and mix.  Add the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Mix.  If a recipe calls for both baking soda and powder, measure the soda first because there is baking soda in baking powder so it won't be contaminated by the spoon. 

 Add the oatmeal flakes and raisins. Mix and spoon the batter onto parchment lined cookie sheets and bake at 350ºF for 12 minutes or until browned. I use a rectangular pizza stone as a cookie sheet which gives much better results than steel sheets, but they must cook for about 17 minutes. The parchment prevents flavor transfer from food to stone. I had these cookies out of the oven before 11pm. They are wonderfully crisp and high fibre!


No comments:

Post a Comment