Monday, March 4, 2013

New Meat! Flat Iron Steak!


I've seen them sitting there before but was afraid to try in case Fern hated them. This is my last night alone so my last chance to try. Glad I did! I bought a pack of Flat Iron Steak also known as Top Blade Steak. I had to read up on what to do with it.  It has a big silver skin membrane in the middle that does not soften with cooking, it has to be removed. Fortunately it was no more difficult than boning a chicken breast so I had them out in no time.  Just slide the knife along both sides of the silver skin and cut it out. It results in two strips and it's easier than it looks. I salted the strips and seasoned with my 

Southwest Spice

2 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp paprika
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp granulated garlic
4 tsp kosher salt (1 tbsp + 1 tsp)
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp dried mustard
1 tsp cayenne


Yukon Gold potatoes were on special 5lbs for $1.99 so I couldn't resist.  I like them with skins on and just butter and chives to impress everyone that I learned how to garnish. I steamed the asparagus and finished it in butter, lemon juice and salt.

The steak was fried on medium+ heat for a couple of minutes on both sides and it's nice to get a little sear all round. It didn't rest long but didn't need to because it was strips, not a thick chunk of meat.

The steak was out of this world.  Better than rib steak. Full of flavor and surprisingly tender. I'm not sure tenderloin would be any more tender. The potatoes were perfect with this meat and the asparagus was just crisp enough. 

Dinner for one, done. Next time we have beef we're having Flat Iron Steak.

No comments:

Post a Comment