Saturday, September 21, 2013

Roast Round of Beef


I felt like beef so it wasn't difficult to find a nice roast to take home.  I also picked up a rutabaga to go with it.  One thing I have noticed since moving my shopping to Save On Foods in regard to the shopping carts.  Both Save On and Safeway force shoppers to use a quarter to unlock their shopping carts.  I never have a quarter.  The result is that I use a carried basket and since I don't want it getting heavy I buy only what I need, nothing extra. It might be as much as hundreds of dollars a month I'm not spending because I don't have a quarter for a cart. I wonder if these companies have ever looked at how much this policy is costing them? It's probably thousands of dollars per day they aren't selling because they make it difficult for customers to shop. Is that stupid or what! Canadian retailers wonder why they struggle to make a profit. Treat your customers better, you idiots!

The beef is spiced with my:

Southwest Rub

2 tbsp  chili powder
2 tbsp paprika
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp  brown sugar
2 tsp Mexican oregano
1 tsp granulated garlic
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp mustard powder

and roasted at 250ºF for about 2 hours till it reached 150ºF internally.

I boiled the turnip for 40 minutes and microwaved the carrots and peas.  The horseradish sauce beside the meat is by Tosca and it has an unpleasant bitter taste. It goes in the garbage. The meat was wonderful.  Tender, moist and full of flavour. There wasn't enough drippings to make gravy unfortunately but we easily ate our fill of potatoes.



No comments:

Post a Comment